Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh no you didn't...

I'm not easily offended, especially when it comes to advertising. We're all constantly bombarded with images and words that are in poor taste, and it's sad to say that I've been kind of desensitized.

Sure, looking back on some of the stuff that was acceptable before the civil rights movement is offensive.



It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant the majority of people were just a few years ago. Heck they're still ignorant.

This ad actually made it past the approval of UNICEF.



Image borrowed from One Dollar a Day Blog . The captions are in German and translate as 'First kid: “I’m waiting for my last day in school, the children in Africa still for their first one.” Second kid: “In Africa, many kids would be glad to worry about school” Third kid: “In Africa, kids don’t come to school late, but not at all” Fourth kid: “Some teachers suck. no teachers sucks even more.”' The writer of this blog sums it up nicely: "Bottom lines of this campaign are: Black = mud = African = uneducated. White = educated." In my own opinion, those kids are just creepy; smiling like they think they're cute with their black faces.

Advertising for shoes or jeans rarely gets to me. It's only when advertising gets in the way of the advancement of our society that I start to get pissed off.

I also hate being blatantly lied to, like this one that popped up on YouTube right after the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Of course it's less advertising and more PR gone horribly, horribly wrong. I was offended enough that I took a screenshot and saved it so that I could rant about it.



But this:


and this:


and this:


... I'm alright with that. I mean, I hope my future are projects are in a little better taste. OK, the "hire a blind person" campaign was a little offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment