Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quick! You only have 2 seconds.

Most of the time, billboards suck. Some people just don't grasp the idea that people only have 2 seconds to read it before it's gone. But sometimes, those 2 seconds actually create brand awareness. Sometimes, it only takes 2 seconds to change a person's behavior.



Those billboards that extend out of the box to create some three-dimensional effect are cool. This one removes the box altogether. Advertisers for airlines often have a hard time making really creative advertising. You sit in a plane, you go someplace else. Preferably you want to remind the audience of going someplace beautiful. But this ad, well, it really hits home that you just want to pay a good price, no matter where you're going. Get the sky on sale.




Did you know that antidisestablishmentarianism is the longest word in the English language, besides all of those chemistry terms, and some word made up just to describe long words (hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian)? Well, I did, and I think this billboard is hilarious. Yea, I'm nerdy. I like impressing people by saying antidisestablishmentarianism. I can spell antidisestablishmentarianism without looking it up. In fact, I picked this ad to share with you just so I could talk about antidisestablishmentarianism. And if I saw this ad in person, I would bring everyone I knew by it, just so I could talk to them about antidisestablishmentarianism.




My ill-received ads about bike helmets made me think that I should have went further with that idea about "being confident enough to wear those shorts." This ad made me laugh, and if I were in the market for a bike, I would probably stop in the shop to check out what they had. However, I don't know if I would still consider wearing the shorts if I were a middle-aged man in the market for a bike. Still, it is effective; short, not-so-sweet, and to the point.



I always stare at the lotto billboards, dreaming about the car I would be driving if I hit that jackpot. I think a lot of people do the same thing, because people invariably swerve into my lane at that part of the highway. While I don't know about the ethics of advertising liquor on a billboard, I think this is fun. I wish this was an absolut world.

No comments:

Post a Comment